Tuesday, January 4, 2011

A New Beginning

Today was the beginning of some new things. Drew began the second semester of his 1st grade year. JC began staying at my sister's house rather than the daycare. This means that we have to get going extra early in the morning. I am very happy to say that today was incredibly successful! I got up at 4am, yes you read that correctly. I exercised and got ready to go even before our goal time of 6:30am. We probably were pulling out of the driveway at that time exactly. The kids did really good. Drew was tired but I think that was mostly due to staying up a little bit too late last night and that he has been out of routine for 2 weeks now. We arrived at Elizabeth's house by 6:50am. This was great because I had built in 30 minutes to get to her house and it really only took 20! I even had time to run in for a bathroom stop. Which is very important since I had already had 32oz of water during my workout and was working on an additional 24oz on the ride to work! JC was so sweet when I dropped him off. He knew where we were as soon as we pulled up and got pretty excited, but then he realized Drew was not getting out of the car too and seemed a bit apprehensive. As we headed into the house he seemed to realize what was going to happen. After my bathroom stop I came back to the kitchen and knelt down for him to hug me. He gave me a big love and then headed toward the pantry with Elizabeth in order to pick out his breakfast food. You know JC is always good with being left if food is being offered! Once he was settled Drew and I headed on down to Hernando. I actually got him dropped off at school and drove into the parking lot at work at 7:16am. I was really pumped at how well we had done. I only hope we can keep up this momentum! Obviously, since our mornings start so early bedtime has to be early. As I type JC is already down for the night and Drew is reluctantly heading to bed himself. He is resisting right now which is likely to end badly for him! Why do they always have to learn the hard way?!? Jim and I are planning to spend a little time reading and then we will be off to bed soon ourselves. We rarely ever turn the tv on during the week anymore. I really like it this way. It is quieter around the house and although we do miss a lot of the news and sometimes haven't a clue what is going on in the world, we don't really feel like we are missing anything.

Since my last post we have pretty much been letting JC feed himself with a spoon every night. He makes a big mess but I usually have clean up duty while Jim totes him straight to the bathroom. It has mostly been in the chair and on the table. He has not been to bad about getting things on the floor. I really am impressed with how well he uses the spoon. I think we probably helped Drew for longer than necessary. Also, Drew has always been the type that does not want his hands messy so he never would really just feed himself with his hands. JC has none of those inhibitions! It is wonderful that he is so independent but it also is reminding me of how he is quickly moving out of the baby stage of life.

Well I better run for now. We have both kids in bed and I am ready to have an evening cup of coffee and do some reading. Bye for now!

No comments: