Friday, March 5, 2010

The new background and a couple of funny stories

I think the new background is incredibly appropriate for a family of two little monkey boys! In the last week JC has just about begun to crawl. He can actually move himself backward pretty well, but this is not really his intention and therefore makes him pretty mad! Soon, oh so very soon, he is going to be EVERYWHERE!! I am not quite ready for it but it was going to happen eventually, right?!?!

So now on to a few "happenings". Last Sunday I took four 4th grade girls from my Sunday School class out for a reward after saying all the memory verses for a 2 month period of time. I let them decide what they wanted to do and they wanted to go roller skating at a place close to our house. So we set out after church to get some lunch. The skating place did not open until 2pm so the plan was to pick up some lunch and go back to my house for a while. Well, at first Drew was scared to death of all those girls in the house, and then he decided he liked it a pretty good bit and basically became their life-size baby doll for awhile! We got to the skating rink just as they opened and man they were packed! Lots of birthday parties going on and what not. So we get in there and I am planning to skate with them. Now I cannot even tell you when the last time I roller skated was, I am thinking it has got to be 20 years ago. As I was lacing up the skates I began to panic and realize just how nuts I really have gotten that I would seriously strap on a pair of boots with wheels attached to them and proceed to then try to stand on them, let alone move around! I am happy to say though that skating must be somewhat like riding a bike, something you do not forget how to do. I did pretty well I think, now it was not graceful or impressive by any means but I did manage to get my balance pretty good and skate at a pretty good pace. I did hit the ground twice. Once when one of the girls pulled me down as I was helping her and the other time was completely on my own, I just lost my balanced and landed on my backside with A LOT of force! Needless to say I have a very bruised knee and a nice bruise on my hip that are still there today! Overall though I really had fun! It was a great time of bonding with the girls. They are all so special to me. God did not bless me with daughters of my own but I believe He wants me to be a special person to each of these girls and I thank Him for the relationship that I have with them.

The next story is a funny Drew story. On afternoon last week as we were heading home from school here was a song playing on KLove that the chorus talks about no one being like God. I cannot remember the exact song at this moment but that is what the chorus says. Anyway, Drew was singing along with it and suddenly stopped and told me that no one was like God. I told him that he was right, no one is like God because He is God. He then says, "I am not like God because I do not have a beard." I started laughing! How funny that he thought of God as having a beard! And that the beard is what distinguishes Him from the rest of us!! Of course I know that the only images he has ever seen that depict Jesus are of a man with a beard so naturally that is what his 6yr old mind thinks of. We talked more that day about why God is not like anyone. He is beginning to take so much in from the scriptures we are learning for Awana and from Sunday School. I do think he is somewhat interested in salvation but does not really have a clear understanding. He understands about people going to heaven and that we have people we love that are already there. He actually had a friend over to the house a couple of weeks ago that he was telling all about the picture in our dining room of his Papa. He told him that Papa is in heaven with Jesus and one day we will see him again. His Papa would be so proud of him! So, the next time you think you can run your own life and tell God what to do you just remember, if you don't have a beard you are not like him!!

Well we have another busy weekend ahead. Jim will be in Ridgeland, MS for the State Indoor Championship. He will be leaving early tomorrow morning and probably not going to get home until about midnight. Drew actually has to go to school tomorrow. We are having a 60% day tomorrow to make up for snow days. While he is at school JC and I are going to go visit my nana at the nursing home. I am praying it will be a good visit. Tomorrow evening my bestist friend and her girls are coming over and we are going to cook dinner together and hang out. It will be a nice distraction from Jim's absence. The weather is going to be gorgeous this weekend so I am hoping the kids can do some outdoor playing!

Hope you all have a wonderful and blessed weekend! I am sure I will have more monkey business to share soon!!

No comments: