Tuesday, July 6, 2010

Catching Up

Okay, so every time I update the blog I tell myself I am going to do better and not let it get behind and yet here I am again posting for the first time in over 2 weeks!!! Why is it the older I get the less time I have for everything. I want to know when life slows down! It should not be this way! So I guess this time instead of saying I will do better I will just say I am going to do the best I can with the time I have.

So picking up with where the last post left off, let me tell you about the not so fun stuff that has gone on in the Mayo house.

Saturday night, June 19, we were sitting in our room. I was reading and I think Jim was on his school laptop, when I started smelling something burning. It was that electronic type burning smell. I immediately had Jim get up and start checking for the odor. It was only in our bedroom. He went in the attic and checked but said all was good up there. We decided we thought it may be his laptop because the fan in it was running really hard and perhaps it was burning up. So we put it out in the garage and left our room for about 30 minutes to see if the smell would leave. We eventually turned the air conditioner up so that it would not run either to let the air clear. Well when we return to our room the smell was gone so I went back and turned the air on. As soon as it began running we smelled it again. But the smell faded this time and Jim checked the attic again and we went on to bed. Well we woke up to a lovely 80 degree house on Sunday morning! So we knew something was wrong. We determined that the unit was frozen up and were hoping it was simply a freon issue, but the burning smell was definitely a concern. So we lined up someone from church to come look at it on Monday. We stayed in the house on Sunday night, and man was it hot! When I left for work on Monday morning it was actually cooler outside than it was in the house. Jim and Drew went to hang out at the band hall until our friend could come over. So at about 3pm we determined that the fan motor had gone out, so $150 later and about 4 hours we had a working A/C unit but still a hot house! When we went to bed it had finally gotten down to about 80, but we woke up to a 70 degree house which was really rather chilly but I was thankful! I think sometimes you have to do without some of the luxuries in life to remember that they are just that, a luxury, and to be truly thankful for them!

Following up that incident we had to have about $175 worth of work done on the van prior to taking it out of town for the Independence Day holiday. It was pretty minor stuff but needed to be done. So now it is! It's only money! We certainly aren't taking it with us when we go so we will just press on knowing that God provides!


Now to get back track a little bit.
On Sunday, June 27, we went to Bellevue Baptist Church's Starlight Spectacular. This is the second year that we have gone and it was even better than last time! This is a totally free event that features great Christian Music Artist and finishes the night off with a HUGE firework show that is coordinated with the Bellevue Orchestra playing all kinds of patriotic music! We had incredible seats this year. We took our cooler full of drinks and snacks and just set our chairs and blankets out and had an awesome time!! The artist this year were Mandisa followed by Matthew West. It was a wonderful time of worship as we all say along with them! After they finished performing the pastor of Bellevue gave an invitation and over 100 people gave their lives to Christ, now that is what really made the night awesome, the rest was just the icing on the cake! There will be pictures in the slide show at the end of this post of our fun that night.

This past weekend we traveled to Madison to see Jim's sister and family. His mom went along with us so we took the van. It was soooo nice to have all that room! I definitely see our next family vehicle being a van! We had a great time visiting with them. We were able to see the house that they are building. They will hopefully be done with it in a few more months. On Saturday we went to a Balloon Festival and Fireworks show in Canton, MS. The kids got to play on moonbounces and a bungy jump thing, you will see pics in the slideshow. We got to see 2 of the hot air balloons take off. The others just stayed blown up on the ground. Not really sure why but they were really cool to look at! The Dragon one was so big! I should have walked Drew around to see the front of it and gotten a picture of it. After the balloons were all deflated they had a fireworks show. We could not see it really good because of some trees but we could see the big ones. It was really a fun evening and it was not too hot. We all really enjoyed seeing the hot air balloons, I have never seen one other than on tv. On Sunday we went for a swim in their neighborhood pool and then the ladies went out for a little shopping time. It was nice to do something with just the girls! We just hung out at their house that night and Justin grilled out some awesome burgers and hot dogs! We watched the fireworks in DC on the television. It was a nice relaxing evening. We had to get ready to head back home on Monday morning since it was back to usual for me on Tuesday. We really did have a nice visit though.

This week has been pretty low keyed, which has been nice! We have been enjoying checking some movies out from the library, which is free by the way and they really do have a good selection. Last night Drew had his last baseball game. It was a make up game. JC and I did not go since we were under a major heat advisory yesterday and the game was at 6pm, so not really enough time for it to have cooled off any. However, JC probably would have been better off at the ball game because he did nothing but get in trouble while they were gone! I have to pop him with the spoon twice for not listening when I told him no. He managed to open up the dishwasher on his own and had almost crawled all the way into it in order to get a crumb that he could see in the door! This after he had eaten ravioli, green beans, spaghetti squash and peaches! He later ended up eating part of a cookie too! He is getting to be a real handful! He can now stand on his own but will not take any steps. He will stand there for about 5-10 seconds and then lower himself down to his booty. He can actually stand himself up though without our help. It will not be very long now and he is gonna be walking! Drew has 2 more loose teeth! That will make a total of 4 lost when they come out. He has one permanent tooth that is a good ways in but the other one has not peaked out yet. He is good about letting me pull them. He doesn't whine or anything, my brave boy! The other one will probably be the whiney baby, and he is going to be twice Drew's size!

Oh I love my boys, all 3 of them! We have really enjoyed the summer months. It has been nice to not be as busy and to enjoy so many quiet evenings at home. But that time is quickly passing. Jim starts Drum Camp on July 19 and that week is followed by full band camp the next week. Then we are at the first week of school. Drew is very excited and ready. I am ready for the routine but I am starting to dread the business. My prayer as we start a new school year is that we will not "sweat the small stuff" and remember who we truly belong to, Jesus! All of the things of this world are temporary. I want to be a better example to my kids of a Godly mom and woman. I want to discipline with love and give sound Biblical direction in handling the little "dramas" of growing up. I want my boys to see me putting Christ first above all else. I am their example of Christ and they are my primary disciples! God please guide Jim and I as we raise these boys is such an ungodly world, give us strength and wisdom to direct them towards You!

Click to play this Smilebox slideshow: Independence 2010
Create your own slideshow - Powered by Smilebox
Digital slideshow created with Smilebox

No comments: