Tuesday, July 15, 2008

I want to be like Daddy!

A few weeks ago, while at church, Drew found a razor in a classroom. They had been collected for baskets to be taken to a homeless shelter. They were unfortunately down on the ground where kids could get to them and they were in the room they use for Children's Choir. He found this razor and decided to try to "shave himself". He tried it on his face, hand and arm! Thankfully it only barely scratched the skin and caused no real damage. I am happy to report that the razors are no longer in a place where children may get them! Obviously I was upset and concerned when I saw what he had done to himself. Jim and I talked to him over and over again about how dangerous a razor can be and that they are not toys. So in the process of me telling him this over, and over again he told me something. In that sweet little 4 year old voice he told me "mommy, I just wanted to be like daddy". Well that just melted my heart! Of course we were never upset at him over the situation but I am sure our insistence about the dangers of what he had done made him think he had somehow messed up. Well I thought about this situation and wanted to do anything we could to prevent him from trying this again. I remembered a play shave kit that my little brother had when he was about Drew's age or a little older. I think it was from Avon, my mom used to sell it. So I got on the net and started looking for a play shave kit for him. I found one on eBay and got it. So he has been happily shaving every night in the tub now! It is a hot wheels shaving kit, it came with a play razor, shave cream and bath gel. So now he is a big boy and can shave just like daddy! Check it out below...

No comments: