Wednesday, July 16, 2008

A Pedicure with Jesus

Okay, so this post is going to be a little bit different. This is a personal reflection from my time with the Lord this morning.

I got my coffee and headed to my special room and sat down in my special chair. I took a few minutes to sip my coffee and try to get my mind awake so that I might actually digest what I would be taking in from The Word this morning. I opened my Bible and got my Journey magazine. If you are not familiar with this resource it is a monthly devotional guide that can be purchased through Lifeway. Our church provides them for our ladies. So I got it opened to the days lessen and then opened my Bible to todays text, John 13:1-17. Right off I could see that this was a familiar passage to me from the heading, Jesus Washes the Disciples' Feet. What was I going to gleen from a passage I have read or heard hundreds of times in my life, right?! Well, that sure wasn't what God was thinking this morning! So I started to read and came to that part of the story where Peter boldy tells the Lord Jesus Christ that if He is going to wash his feet so that he can be part of Him then to go ahead and wash all of him! I am so a Peter most of the time! I want to tell God what to do , how to do it, and when it will work best for me! Well, Jesus does not fuss at him or give him a long lecture about the error of his thinking, He gives Peter a simple answer that had SO much truth in it for me today. Jesus' response to Peter was, "He who has been bathed needs only to wash his feet, but is completely clean; and you are clean, but not all of you." I got stuck on that verse. I pondered it and thought about how I felt this morning. I felt sick with my own sin in my life. I felt absolutely filthy from head to toe. In the quiet of that moment I felt the Holy Spirit all around me telling me that only my feet needed cleaning! You see I am truly clean because I have Jesus in my heart as my Savior. I have turned from my life of sin and ask God to forever be the Lord of my life. But I am still human and as such I will sin everyday. Everyday I get my FEET dirty by walking through sin! Therefore, everyday, no make that moment by moment I need to stop and let the Lord wash my feet clean. He must wash that filth off of my feet so that I can continue on for His names sake. Of course the only way He can perform this cleansing is by my request. That means that as I dishonor Him and fall into daily sin I must ask His forgiveness and turn back to Him. It felt so good this morning to feel The Masters hands on me, washing away the sin I carried. I am sure that I had dirt and mud all the way up to my knees, but He cleaned it anyway, because He loves me unconditionally!

Do you have peace in Him? Do you know that if your life was required of you today that you would open your eyes in the presence of the Lord? If you cannot answer yes to each of those questions don't let another moment pass. Romans 5:8 says But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were yet sinners, Christ died for us. Romans 10:13 says For whoever will call on the name of the Lord will be saved! Know Him today as your Savior!

1 comment:

Jon and Kelly Pack said...

I vote that you start writing the devotionals for "Journey". I so enjoyed your insight! God Bless,Kelly